Your HVAC system works hard to deliver year-round comfort to your Kinston, North Carolina, home. However, you may take all the work your system does for granted, however until it fails to deliver heating or air conditioning when you need it most. Discover how biannual HVAC checkups can maximize your heating and cooling system’s efficiency.
Proactive, Planned Maintenance
At the beginning of a new year, when you’re scheduling your doctor, dentist and veterinary appointments, don’t forget to make time for an HVAC system check. You should schedule maintenance for your air conditioning system in the spring and your heating unit in the fall.
Think about your vehicle for a moment. To keep it operating at peak efficiency, you rely on your mechanic to perform regular tune-ups. Oil changes, tire rotations and exhaust system checks can all help ensure your vehicle runs smoothly. Consider the myriad components that make up your vehicle — components you don’t want failing when you need reliable transportation.
Much like your vehicle, an HVAC system has many parts that work together to deliver air conditioning and heating to your Kinston home. When any one of those parts fails, it can impact the overall operations of your HVAC unit. Proactive, planned maintenance can help identify malfunctioning parts before they become larger and more expensive problems. A well-operating HVAC system not only gives you peace of mind but also saves you money on energy costs — savings you’ll appreciate when you receive your monthly utility bill.
Why Biannual HVAC Maintenance Checkups Make Sense
As we experience the end of one season and the start of another, this time of year encourages us to prep our homes for the change in weather. The shift from winter to spring prompts you to put up your screen doors, wash your windows, prep your patio for outdoor entertaining, and clean up winter debris from your garden. It’s also a time to schedule HVAC maintenance for your AC system.
When you plan in advance for the season to come, you can make sure your HVAC system will operate at its full potential. If HVAC repairs or a system replacement is necessary, you’ll find out during a tune-up instead of when your unit breaks down later. By scheduling maintenance in the spring and fall, you won’t have to worry about your HVAC system not working during a heat wave or winter snowstorm.
What Happens During an HVAC System Maintenance Checkup?
During an HVAC system maintenance check, a service technician will perform the following tasks:
- Inspect and lubricate all moving parts, including blowers and fans
- Check wiring and electrical connections
- Verify that the thermostat is working properly
- Make sure proper levels of refrigerant are present
- Run a test to ensure your system cycles on and off appropriately
- Clean grills and inspect ducts on central air conditioning systems
- Check the condenser unit and evaporator coils for proper operating efficiency
- Verify that all belts and bearings are turning correctly
- Check for gas leaks and issues affecting the ignition components on gas furnaces
What Can Homeowners Do Between Regular Maintenance Checks?
Extending the life of your HVAC system also requires some basic maintenance on your part between service visits. Below are several steps you can take to keep your HVAC system well-maintained throughout the year:
- Regularly replace the air filter in your HVAC system. Use the proper filter according to your system manufacturer’s instructions.
- Keep the area around your outside unit free of lawn and garden debris.
- Clean grills and vent covers to remove dust and debris from their surfaces.
- Avoid closing vents in unused rooms of your home. Your HVAC system needs to be able to circulate air properly throughout your house.
- Make sure that debris does not block the discharge pipe that extends outdoors from your HVAC system.
J & J Mechanical, Inc. offers convenient, cost-effective seasonal HVAC system maintenance plans designed to accommodate your household budget and busy schedule. With priority service and courtesy reminder calls, we unite comfort and convenience for homeowners like you. To learn more about or schedule an HVAC system maintenance check today, call us at 855-800-1341.
Image provided by Shutterstock