While most people probably don’t look forward to doing their annual spring cleaning or maintenance chores, it’s an important part of a well-cared-for home. On top of helping you avoid costly repair work, regular care will keep your home looking nice. And certain tasks are designed to improve your home’s comfort level while reducing energy use. Learn more about HVAC and other home maintenance jobs that should be on your to-do list this spring.
Spring Home Maintenance Checklist
You may be able to perform many of the following tasks yourself, while others are best left to the pros:
- Inspect your property to see if there’s damage to your walkways that needs fixing.
- Walk around the outside of your home to see if you have any broken or damaged bricks or stucco that require repair work.
- Fix, replace or paint any trim or siding as needed.
- Clear gutters and downspouts of leaves and debris, and ensure they’re securely attached. Your roof and chimney’s condition should be assessed at the same time.
- Ensure outdoor electrical boxes are watertight.
- Change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Caulk and add weatherstripping to any air leaks around your home.
- Replace the HVAC system’s air filter to promote energy efficiency. Be sure to check it every month as well.
- Clean dust and debris around your HVAC system, cold-air vents, dryer vent, room fans, baseboard heaters and stove hood to prevent restricted airflow.
- Ensure there’s enough insulation in your attic to help create an effective thermal barrier.
- Repair leaky pipes in your kitchen, bathrooms and utility room.
- Drain the water heater so that sediment buildup doesn’t become a problem.
- Check that all appliances are in safe and proper working order.
- Schedule a maintenance appointment for your home’s HVAC system. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, annual tune-ups are essential for keeping your system in peak condition for as long as possible, avoiding untimely breakdowns and lowering energy use.
Learn more about the HVAC services J & J Mechanical, Inc. provides or contact us today at (855) 800-1341 to schedule an appointment.