If you’ve purchased a new HVAC system for your Kinston, NC home, you’ve made a big investment. If you have an existing system, you know that it’s important to keep it in good running condition to avoid replacement or expensive repairs. While extending the life of an HVAC system doesn’t require complicated maintenance, there are some basic things that you can do to extend its life and keep it running as efficiently as possible. Here are some simple yet important steps to take:
- Replace the air filter regularly – This is a easy and inexpensive way to keep the system in good working order. Make sure you read the manufacturer’s instructions, using the proper air filter and installing it correctly. Check the filter every month and replace it as soon as dirt begins accumulating on the filter.
- Clean the outdoor unit – Leaves, grass and other debris can get trapped inside the unit so use a hose to remove these particles on a regular basis.
- Allow circulation – It may be tempting to close unused vents or close off rooms, but circulation is an important aspect of the HVAC system. Keep vents open and allow rooms to circulate as well. This prevents moisture buildup that can lead to mold.
- Clean the grills – Grills cover the vents. Periodically remove them and wipe them down or vacuum them to remove dust, webs and debris that has built up.
- Maintain the discharge pipe – The discharge pipe runs outdoors from the HVAC system and it’s usually made of PVC. Be sure that it hasn’t been blocked or clogged with leaves, dirt or snow.
These are simple DIY maintenance tips for extending the life of your HVAC system. In addition, regular maintenance by a professional is recommended.
For more information about extending the life of an HVAC system, contact J & J Mechanical. We offer maintenance, installation and repair for homeowners in the Greenville area.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com