When you schedule an air conditioner tuneup in the spring, you’re doing yourself and your air conditioning system a favor. You benefit by lowering summer cooling bills, and it helps your cooling system run dependably through the summer. Air conditioners work hard keeping your home comfortable, and without annual maintenance, they work even harder. This increases energy bills and the likelihood of an eventual breakdown.
Keeping the air filter clean for the air conditioner is a simple and inexpensive task that will immediately improve its performance. A dirty filter slows the airflow through the system, stressing parts, especially in the blower motor and compressor. If you don’t know where the filter is or how to change it, the HVAC technician who performs the maintenance can show you.
Another routine task you can do is keeping the outdoor condenser free from dust and nearby vegetation. A gentle spray with the hose will knock down the dust on the outdoor coil inside the condenser. Removing vegetation that interferes with the free flow of air into the condenser will help expedite the heat-exchange process.
Air Conditioner Tune-Up Checklist
Professional air conditioner maintenance typically includes these steps:
- Testing the refrigerant level. Systems with improper refrigerant levels won’t run as efficiently. If the level is too low, your air conditioner’s indoor coil may freeze over, which can seriously harm the outdoor compressor. The technician will find the leak and repair it before refilling.
- Inspecting all the electrical connections, adjusting if necessary. He or she will also check safety switches for proper operation.
- Making sure the condensate drain is clear. If it’s clogged, water can back up into your home, damaging both the air handler and your structure.
- Cleaning the indoor and outdoor coils.
- Lubricating all the moving parts and checking belt wear and tension.
- Measuring the airflow through the air handler.
- Looking for evidence of ductwork leaks. A leaky duct increases energy bills and lowers indoor air quality.
- Calibrating the thermostat if necessary.
To schedule air conditioner maintenance this spring, contact the pros at J & J Mechanical, providing exceptional HVAC services for Greenville, Kinston and New Bern.
Image provided by Shutter Stock.