5 Ways to Locate Air Leaks in Your New Bern, NC, Home
Have you recently noticed changing temperatures in your New Bern, NC, home and felt drafts getting in through doors and windows? It may be time to find the air leaks and get them fixed. Air leaks in your home can lead to decreased indoor air quality and increased energy bills.
Common Sources of Air Leaks in Your Home
It’s essential to identify and address the sources of these leaks to maintain a comfortable living environment. Leaks occur when conditioned air escapes through gaps and cracks in your home’s structure, resulting in drafts and uneven temperatures. These leaks can significantly impact your HVAC system’s efficiency, making it harder to maintain a comfortable temperature.
Here are some typical sources of leaks in your house:
- Attic hatch.
- Pipes and wires.
- Electrical and gas service entrances.
- Plumbing vents.
- Exterior wall penetrations.
- Shaft for piping.
Identifying Common Areas for Air Leaks
HVAC professionals have training to locate and fix the leaks. They use various methods to identify these leaks, which can cause energy waste and discomfort in the home. Here are five ways HVAC professionals locate air leaks in homes.
Professional Blower Door Test
HVAC professionals use a blower door test to measure a home’s airtightness. They seal all doors, windows and other openings and use a powerful fan to create negative pressure inside the home. The blower door test helps professionals identify areas where the air is escaping or entering the home.
An infrared camera is another method HVAC professionals use to locate leaks. This device detects temperature differences in the home’s surfaces and reveals areas of heat loss. Using an infrared camera, they can quickly identify leaks and recommend the best solutions.
Your contractors may also perform a smoke test to locate air leaks in a home. They use a smoke pencil or machine to blow smoke into the home’s ductwork or ventilation system. The smoke will reveal any air leaks or drafts that may be present.
HVAC professionals may perform a pressure test to locate air leaks in a home. They seal all doors and windows and use a fan to pressurize the home’s interior. This test can help identify areas where air leaks from the house.
Air Leak Detector
HVAC experts can use an air leak detector to assess your home for air leaks accurately. This device can detect temperature differences in the air, indicating the presence of a leak.
The Importance of Insulation and Proper Sealing
Insulating and sealing your home is crucial for maintaining a comfortable indoor environment and improving energy efficiency. Addressing leaks can prevent heat loss during winter and keep your home cooler during summer. This helps maintain consistent indoor temperatures and reduces the strain on your HVAC system, leading to lower energy bills.
- Preventative maintenance: Regular HVAC maintenance is essential for maintaining your home’s indoor air quality and energy efficiency. HVAC professionals can provide preventative maintenance services, including maintaining your air conditioner.
- Improving indoor air quality: You can significantly improve your home’s indoor air quality by addressing air leaks. Leaks can introduce outdoor pollutants into your living space, such as allergens, dust and microbial. Ensuring proper sealing and insulation can help prevent these contaminants from entering your home, leading to a healthier living environment.
- Air filtration and purification: In addition to addressing air leaks, you can improve indoor air quality by investing in air filtration and purification systems. These systems can help remove airborne pollutants and maintain a healthy indoor environment.
- Humidity control: Proper humidity control is essential for maintaining good indoor air quality. Excess humidity can lead to microbial growth and other issues while low humidity can cause dry skin and respiratory problems. Consider investing in a humidifier or dehumidifier to maintain optimal humidity levels in your home.
Our team stands committed to providing top-notch HVAC services in New Bern, NC. Our experienced service technicians can help you locate and address air leaks, optimizing your home’s energy efficiency and indoor air quality, so contact J & J Mechanical, Inc. today for expert assistance.
Image provided by iStock